The mommy makeover is truly transformative: it can rejuvenate and lift the breasts, restore a tight, fit-looking abdomen, and more. And when paired with healthy lifestyle choices, results from the mommy makeover can last for many years to come.
You’ve given so much of yourself to your children – now it’s your turn to treat yourself. If you’re considering a mommy makeover, the following FAQs will help you decide whether this procedure is right for you.
Your Mommy Makeover Questions Answered
What Does a Mommy Makeover Include?
A mommy makeover can be completely customized – that means you get to choose which set of procedures you’d like to undergo. Whether you’re seeking a breast lift with breast augmentation, a tummy tuck, or both, your surgeon will help you decide which set of surgeries would best suit your needs.
The most commonly performed mommy makeover procedures are:
- Breast Augmentation: The breasts may undergo dramatic changes during and after pregnancy, including loss of shape, volume, and symmetry. All of these changes can be addressed with breast augmentation. Breast augmentation allows you to choose from a variety of implant styles to beautifully restore a more ideal shape and size to your breasts.
- Breast Lift: Breast augmentation does not significantly lift the breasts on its own, which is why many mothers choose a breast lift/augmentation combination. This set of surgeries is one of the most popular options for women undergoing a mommy makeover, as it completely rejuvenates the breasts.
- Tummy Tuck: Besides the breasts, the abdomen is another major area of concern for women seeking a mommy makeover. In many cases, childbirth stretches the abdominal muscles to the point where they cannot return to normal without surgery. Even a strict diet and exercise routine cannot correct over-stretched abdominal muscles. Fortunately, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck surgery) can achieve what diet and exercise alone cannot. During tummy tuck surgery, your surgeon can remove excess skin and fat, and surgically tighten the abdominal muscles for a lean, fit appearance.
In addition to the above surgeries, many women also choose to undergo noninvasive treatments like Botox or dermal fillers to smooth away the signs of stress and aging.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Ideal candidates for a mommy makeover include women who would like to correct the cosmetic changes caused by pregnancy. Good candidates should also be close to their goal weight, as significant weight fluctuations can negatively affect your results from a mommy makeover. Likewise, if you plan on becoming pregnant in the future, you may want to postpone your mommy makeover until you’re done having children.
Women seeking a mommy makeover typically exhibit the following:
- Elongated or “deflated” breasts
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Excess skin and fat on the abdomen that does not respond to diet or exercise
Are the Results of a Mommy Makeover Permanent?
Mommy makeover procedures such as breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck surgery will provide long-term improvements of your body. And when paired with a healthy lifestyle, you can expect to enjoy your results even longer. Becoming pregnant again or gaining a significant amount of weight may reverse your results.
What Is Recovery Like After a Mommy Makeover?
It depends on which procedures you decide to undergo, but you’ll probably need about a week or two to recover. Dr. Desman specializes in rapid recovery breast augmentation, which cuts down your expected recovery time to about 24 – 48 hours, without the need for surgical support bras. His breast lift patients usually resume regular activity within around 3 days.
When it comes to tummy tuck surgery, your recovery will be a bit longer due to the nature of the surgery. Most patients can resume work after a week or two, but in most cases, you will also need to wear a compression garment until you have fully healed. This garment will control swelling and help the tissues conform to their new contours.
For both breast surgery and tummy tuck surgery, strenuous exercise should be avoided for around 4 – 6 weeks.
Will a Mommy Makeover Give Me Scars?
You will have scars after your mommy makeover. However, most incisions will be carefully made within natural creases and contours of the body, whenever possible, to minimize the visibility of scars. Many patients find that their scars can be easily hidden by most types of clothing, even bathing suits.
How Soon Can I Have a Mommy Makeover After Giving Birth?
Women considering a mommy makeover should wait at least 6 months after giving birth and completing breastfeeding. This will allow your hormones to return to normal levels, and it will give you enough time to healthily hit your target weight.
Overall, the mommy makeover can help you feel comfortable with your body again and restore your confidence. And if you’d like to undergo one or several procedures – the choice is up to you. To learn more about the mommy makeover, contact Dr. Eric Desman of the Virginia Center for Plastic Surgery to schedule a consultation.